How do I dispute fraudulent accounts opened in my name?

To dispute and close fraudulent accounts an identity thief opened in your name or with your financial information, contact the fraud department of each business where an account was opened. Explain to them that you are an identity thief victim and ask to close the account. In order to do so, you will have to send your Identity Theft Report or fill out a special dispute form if the business requires it. Send them the copies, and ask the business to send you a letter confirming that the fraudulent account isn’t yours, you aren’t liable for it and it was removed from your credit report. Make sure to keep the letter in case you do see this account on your credit report in the future.

Leave a comment