How do I dispute fraudulent charges on my existing accounts?

If there are unauthorized charges from an identity thief on your current accounts first thing to do is to change the passwords or PINs for your accounts so the thief can no longer access them. Then contact the fraud department of each business and explain that you are an identity theft victim. List the errors you found and send them documents that show the errors. Include your Identity Theft Report or special dispute forms if the business requires them as well as a copy of your credit report, but make sure to blank out any personal information that does not pertain to your dispute. The business must review your letter, investigate your complaint and tell you the results of their investigation. If the information is wrong, the business must tell the credit reporting company. Ask the business to send you a letter confirming that it did indeed remove the fraudulent charges.

Leave a comment