What should I do if an identity thief opens a credit card in my name?

Find out the name of the credit card issuer and contact their fraud department to have the account closed. Let the credit card issuer know that the account is not yours. The credit card issuer may ask for further proof, like a police report or Identity Theft Affidavit. Also ask for a copy of the credit card application or other business transactions relating to the identity theft. This should be provided free of charge and the information can be helpful in developing your case as an identity theft victim.

Leave a comment