What should I do if an identity thief takes out student loans in my name?

An identity thief may use your personal or financial information to receive a student loan. Contact the school or program that opened the loan and ask them to close the loan. Also report the fraudulent loan to the U.S. Department of Education.

Call: 1-800-647-8733 or go to www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/hotline.html

Mail: U.S. Department of Education Office of the Inspector General
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

Leave a comment